Platform lifts are the perfect equipment to improve the life of many users. In fact, they are used more and more by people with reduced mobility in the world. In fact, a platform lift is a material that can be installed both inside and outside a house. Once installed in your home, it offers many advantages: comfort, safety, independence.
If you are wondering what the real reasons are for installing a platform lift in your home and according to what rules, you will surely find the answer in this article.
Elevating platform: what is it?
A platform lift is a table system that allows people with mobility problems to go up and down stairs or levels. Its operating principle is similar to that of a freight elevator. Indeed, this equipment replaces the stairs and allows its user to move safely. There are two main types of platform lifts:
- The platform stairlift works in the same way as a stairlift. It is equipped with a manually movable platform on rails installed at the stairs and a ramp that closes after a person is installed;
- The vertical lift platform works like a special elevator. It is a platform that goes up and down vertically, allowing its user to easily climb to the upper levels independently and safely.
However, a lifting platform is not only installed in public places. There are also residential aerial work platforms that you can have installed in your home to allow seniors to move around the house.
What are the advantages of installing a lifting platform?
An aerial work platform has many advantages over an elevator. These advantages are nowadays an open secret. Nevertheless, here are some reasons to opt for this tool.
An elevator is less expensive
The price of an elevator is half the price of the installation of an elevator, which does not even take into account the maintenance costs.
An elevator is less restrictive
Unlike an elevator whose installation is time-consuming and irrevocable, a platform lift can be deployed quickly and is easy to use. It is an ideal, fast and efficient solution that adapts to your regular and immediate needs. In addition, this device is less cumbersome, so you can install it wherever you want.
The rules of installation of a lifting platform
Although a platform lift is a tool that allows people with limited mobility to move around independently, there are a few key rules to follow when installing it. Find some of them below.
Respect the recommended dimensions
The first thing to take into account to install a lifting platform is the respect of the dimensions defined by the measures in force. In fact, any elevator installation must comply with the following dimensional rules:
- When it is a simple or opposite service, the elevator must have a dimension of 0,90 x 1,40 m?
- In the case of a corner service, the elevator must have a dimension of 1.10 x 1.40 m?
- When two services are combined, the platform must be able to lift a load of 250 kg/m2?;
- The gate must be 0.90 cm wide.
Securing your lifting platform
It is imperative to secure your lifting platform. To do this, the use of the shaft is necessary up to a certain height. In addition, it is strongly recommended to secure the lower part of the platform in order to avoid the risk of falling, especially when the elevator goes down.